Wednesday 15 July 2020

New Queen!

Two weekends ago, I opened up hive #1, to check on the queen cell.  This is what I saw:


That is excellent - a textbook emerged queen cell.  It still amuses me that, when the queen nibbles the end off the cell, she doesn't remove it completely, but leaves a small 'hinge' on the lid.

Anyway, I didn't see the queen that day, and had to wait another week to see if I could spot her.  Which brings me to Sunday, when I opened the hive again and, after a little bit of peering about, saw this:


Yes, that is indeed the new queen!  If you didn't spot her, I promise she definitely is in the photo.  She's actually the one that is less stripy than all the worker bees.  So, think of it as a game of "Where's Waldo?" - except in this version, everyone is wearing a striped top except Waldo.

She's not laying yet - probably because the weather hasn't been great, so she hasn't had a chance to fully mate yet.  Hopefully that will all change by the weekend, and then I'll be able to mark her and name her.

No comments:

Post a Comment