Sunday 18 April 2021

Goodbye Beechen Bees - Epilogue

Spring is in full swing, the blossom is out, and the bees should be flying by now.  Sadly, mine are not.  I opened the hives last month, and found piles of dead bees, and some nasty mould:

I don't know exactly what killed them - probably some kind of virus, such as chronic bee paralysis virus.  Almost certainly spread within and across the hives by Varroa mites.  But it means - currently - the end of all my bees.  It's a shame, as they were all from the same family tree, right from my first colony that I got back in 2012, headed up by queen Rosalind.

Anyway, before I can get new bees, I needed to clean things up.  The first task was to burn all the frames.  They could still be harbouring the infection that killed my bees, so I can't take the risk of using them again.  The best way to dispose of old frames is to burn them.  They do burn well:

The next task was to scrape off any remaining propolis on the brood and super boxes, and sterilise the remaining hive parts.  This is done with a blowtorch.  The idea is to work fairly quickly, so as to scorch the wood but not burn it.

Then, I put new frames in.  Acting on a tip from fellow Widcombe beekeeper Jessica, I put in 10 new frames of wax foundation, and also a frame of drawn wax from one of my spare super frames:

The idea is that any passing swarm might smell the wax, take a look inside, and find an empty - but fully furnished - beehive all ready for them to move into.  New bee landlord Joel assures me that he usually gets a swarm in either his, or his neighbour's garden, every spring.  So, if I'm lucky, I might find a passing swarm setting up home in one of my hives.  That, at least, is the theory - we'll see how it works out over the next few weeks.

This will be my last blog entry as Beechen Bees.  But - assuming I do get some bees, one way or another, this season - it won't be the last you'll hear of me.  Stay tuned for some news from The Southdown Apiary!

No comments:

Post a Comment