Saturday 10 September 2022

It's Harvest Time!

Apologies I've taken so long to provide any updates - this was due to a change in email platforms, which was a bit complex to sort out.  Email notifications are now fixed (hooray!) so I can share the good news about this year's honey harvest:

Note the re-brand - fancy new honey labels designed by Mrs Beekeeper!  It's been a bumper crop this year - actually, my best ever.  Totals for each hive were as follows:

  • Hive #1 - 60 jars
  • Hive #2 - 46 jars
That's a whopping 106 jars, which I am very pleased about.

It's been a fairly straightforward beekeeping year, without any real dramas - the bees have been very busy, and don't seem to have had any time for any shenanigans.  One change - back in June, Christina (formerly of hive #1) was moved into her 'retirement home' in the nucleus, to prevent her from swarming.  Hive #1 then made some queen cells, which I thinned down to one, and the new queen hatched at the end of June.  I have yet to get a photograph of her, but hopefully that will be coming soon.  And of course, she will need a new name.  So, more to come about the new queen of hive #1 later this month.

1 comment: