Tuesday 12 July 2016

Weekend Update

There are so many things going on in the hives this week, that I have had to split the news over several articles.  Here's the summary:


The Nucleus

The new queen is laying really well - so well, in fact that she needed some more laying space.  So, the nucleus has had an upgrade.  More info to come in the next article - "Project 1 - Nucleus Upgrade".


Miriam's Hive

Miriam's hive is booming - and they know it, which is why they are still producing queen cells, and I am still cutting them out as soon as I spot them.  I've taken a couple of photos of a queen cell I removed (and one from hive #2 as well), which you'll see in an article later in the week about Queen Bees - Stages of Development.

Also, Miriam's hive has had an upgrade, too.  You'll be able to read more about it later in the week, under "Project 2 - Hive Upgrade".


Hive #2

There were two queen cells in hive #2, but I cut one out to give the other one a clear run at taking over the hive.  (Maybe the one I cut out should be called Andrea?  Hahahaha.)  Hopefully the new queen will emerge this week.

In other Hive #2 news, I noticed that the hive floor and brood box were both sitting out of alignment - it looked like something had bumped into the hive.  After squaring everything up, I took a closer look and saw two prominent dents on the side of the brood box:


It looks like somebody (and I suspect some nasty schoolboy) has been throwing rocks at my hive.  No doubt he found it "hilarious" to see my poor, distressed bees rushing out of their hive to try to defend themselves.  Frankly, I hope they stung the hell out of the little shit that did this.

No comments:

Post a Comment