Sunday 13 August 2017

HARVEST!

Yes, it's that time of year - and this year it was a big job.  Fortunately, Bath mayor Ian and local food production guru Stew were on hand on Friday to help with the honey.  After I'd spent the morning cleaning every surface, we set up our production line in the afternoon - Stew was on comb uncapping, Ian on extractor spinning, while I got to fill the jars.  It was hard work, but great fun, and fantastic to see the result.  Huge thanks to Stew and Ian for all their hard work!

So, to the all-important business of yield - here's this year's numbers, in 340g (12 oz) jars:

Laura:  A decent size batch of 29 jars.

Maria: A stunning 51 jars!

... making a record haul of 80 jars (plus a ¾ jar that supplied my breakfast this morning!)  So I'm happy to declare a final yield of just over 60½ lbs of honey - a personal best!

Even better - I'm delighted that Widcombe Deli is again selling Beechen Bees honey this year.  I took the first dozen down yesterday, and Nicky had sold the first jar before I'd even left the shop!  Big thanks to Nicky for tweeting the new stock - follow the link for a photo of the honey in-store.

No comments:

Post a Comment