Wednesday 9 August 2017

It's Almost Harvest...

Finally last Saturday was dry enough to open the hives, and my main interest was honey.  How much?  Is it ready to harvest?

Good news!  I have three full supers (i.e. 3 x 10 frames) of honey, all capped by the bees and ready to extract.  Actually, there is a fourth super - on hive #1 - which is also full, but the honey isn't capped yet.  This means the bees haven't quite evaporated off all the water, though the honey is quite firm in the cells, so it won't be long.

I left the fourth super on the hive, to give the bees a chance to finish it off properly.  But the other three have now been take off, and brought back to my house ready for extraction.  Here's a couple of action shots of me moving the supers:




I haven't extracted the honey yet - though I do have all my jars and labels ready to go.  Extraction is scheduled for Friday, and I have a feeling this could be my best crop ever...!

No comments:

Post a Comment